1. What size stove do I need for my home?

The average room temperature for comfort and relaxation is around 21° C; to achieve this you need to supply around 1kW of heat output for every 14 cubic metres of space.

To find out the size of your room take the height, length and width measurements. Then multiply them together.

For example, if your room measures 5m long by 6m wide and a height of 3m your cubic meters adds up as 90 cu. m. Divide this by 14  and this would tell you that you need a 6.4kW stove.

Please remember this is a rough guide, other factors must be taken into consideration including double glazing, insulation, age of home etc.

Please contact your local Portway/Flavel Stove retailer for further help and advice.

2. How efficient are wood burning and multifuel stoves?

Stoves are becoming more and more efficient every day thanks to modern technology.

Our stoves are amongst the most efficient multi-fuel stoves on the market; averaging at 80%. This means that you need to burn less fuel to get more heat compared to similar products on the market.

Every Portway and Flavel stove carries independently tested CE Approval to standard EN13240 and are approved for use in smoke free zones when burning anthracite or any other authorized smokeless fuel.

3. Who can install my stove for me?

We recommend that all Portway/Flavel wood burning or multi-fuel stoves are installed by a HETAS approved installer and all gas stoves by a Gas Safe Register Engineer.

Your local Portway/Flavel Stoves retailer should be able to arrange this for you or you can find details of HETAS registered installers by visiting www.hetas.co.uk, or details on Gas Safe by visiting www.gassaferegister.co.uk.

4. What is a Smoke Control Area?

Within the UK the majority of towns and cities are Smoke Control Area’s. Within these areas it is an offence to emit smoke from a chimney of a building, from a furnace or from any fixed boiler. It is also an offence to acquire an “unauthorised fuel” for use within a smoke control area unless it is used in an “exempt” appliance.

Your local authority is responsible for implementing the Clean Air Act 1993 including designation and supervision of smoke control areas and you should contact them for more details about your local area.

Further information on the requirements of the Clean Air Act can be found here: https://smokecontrol.defre.gov.uk

5. Where can I buy spare parts for my Stove?

For Portway/Flavel stove spares please contact the BFM Europe Ltd. Spare Parts department on 01782 339034.

If possible please have a part number to hand when you call to help us deal with your enquiry faster. Most part numbers can be found on the back of your user manual, alternatively a member of our sales team can help.

Alternatively, you can purchase spare parts from Gas on Spares on 0121 5857799, Parts Centre on 0845 2709800 or from any of our product stockists.

6. Can the stove be used as a primary heat source?

We recommend that all our fires are used in conjunction with central heating and not as a primary source of heat.